Pages

Friday 6 April 2012

Saga Wargames Scenics Part Two - Trees

I designed the terrain pieces with the intention of having scratch built trees attached to the base.
The first stage of the tree construction involved searching for twigs in a nearby copse of trees. I then glued rubberised horse hair to the twigs. (below)
Next, I affixed foliage flock to the horse hair by repeatedly spraying it with Morrisons extra firm hold hairspray, sprinkling the flock and then drying with a hairdryer. This process was repeated until the tree was covered. (below)
I then fixed the the trees to the base by first drilling a hole in the base and then attaching the tree with a thin woodscrew from the bottom of the base. I then filled in the gap around the base with filler. I had already built up parts of the base with polyfiller and then covered it with PVA and sharp sand. (below)
Next stage is to paint and flock the base.

5 comments:

  1. Looks good mate, you should stick these in the web site :-)
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once I finish the piece I will write a full 'how to' for the website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent stuff Mr Abbott. Never seen hairspray used as a fixing agent before (except for the hairspray & salt method for weathering vehicles etc.). Have you used flock or clump foliage, for the, errr foliage?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark, I used clump foliage, but I ripped it into small pieces

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice (if somewhat belatedly)! I was just looking for a howto on trees with rubberised horsehair.

    ReplyDelete