Wednesday, 29 December 2010
I purchased the pieces via their ebay store, and when they arrived only a few days later, I immediatly bought more as I was so happy with the quality. The pieces are cast in urethane resin and their vacuum degassing process leaves a near perfect, bubble free, finish. The detail is exceptional and, in my humble opinion, is probably the best I have ever seen.
When it came to painting the Sci-fi modules I decided on a grimy, industrial look. For my inspiration look at the PS3 game Killzone 2 or the film Blade Runner. The paint job was
very simple. Citadel Chaos black spray paint undercoat followed by a heavy drybrushing of Citadel Boltgun Metal. Once dry the models were washed in Citadel Badham Black and when dry, Citadel Devlan wood. Finally I dipped into the depths of my paint box to use a (glass) jar of Miniature Paints Metalic Bronze to highlight the tube, cable and wire details, which I then washed in Devlan mud.
Below are some of the goodies in their final painted form:
1) Sci-fi atmosphere processor (£5.99) The figures are Kolony Militia from Pig Iron Miniatures.
2) Sci-fi engineering module (£5.99) Again the figures are Pig Iron.
3) 1/55 scale street furniture bio hazard barrels (£3.25 for 10) The figures are zombies from Coldwar miniatures range - perhaps we have now found the cause of the epidemic!!
Sunday, 19 December 2010
I was able to knock these up in only two nights (it's amazing what I can achieve when I have no marking to do!) and was chuffed with the results. Sadly though, the bloody weather has meant that our club night has been cancelled! Still I'm sure the family will get their chance crack some zombie skulls in the new year!
Wednesday, 15 December 2010
When I received the figures in the post I was immediately struck by two things - firstly they looked like WW2 German troops - Space Nazis! and secondly, they look like the Helghast from the PS3 game 'Killzone 2'. With these observations made, I decided to paint them as a combination of the two.
First my usual method of basing figures - glue them onto 1p coins on the Queen's head side (it must be my Republican side coming out); level the bases using poly filler and then cover with pva glue and sharp sand). Next the figures are sprayed black using Citadel Chaos Black.
The following paints were then used:
Uniform Trousers: Vallejo German Field Grey WWII
Overcoat: Vallejo Medium Sea Grey washed with Citadel Badham Black.
Overcoat Lining: Officers - Vallejo Scarlet, Other ranks - Citadel Kommando Khaki
Helmet, gloves and Body Armour: Vallejo German Field Grey WWII, washed with Badham Black.
Officer's Hat: Vallejo German Field Grey WWII; Vallejo Scarlet; Citadel Chaos Black, Citadel Boltgun Metal.
Boots, belt and pouches: Citadel Beastial Brown, washed with Citadel Devlan Mud.
Helmet optics: Citadel Boltgun Metal, Badham Black, Vallejo Scarlet and Citadel Blazing Orange.
Hood: Vallejo Luftwaffe Uniform WWII.
Gas Mask: Citadel Vermin Brown washed, washed with Citadel Devlan Mud, Boltgun metal, Vallejo Scarlet, Badham Black and a dot of Citadel Blazing Orange.
Weapons: Citadel Chaos black, Citadel boltgun metal, Vallejo Luftwaffe Uniform WWII and Vallejo Scarlet.
Base: Citadel Scorched Brown, Graveyard Earth and Bleached Bone.
I have always been disappointed with the finish of spray varnishes, so I use Vallejo Mat Varnish and use one of my good lady wife's old makeup brushes to apply it.
Below are the officer and a Militia man with a flame thrower.
Next, more troopers and some scenics...